Opening the engine 
Well still no photos I'm afraid, I really must remember to take some next time the sun comes out!

I've finally opened the engine and seen the extent of the carbon deposits. Cylinder 1 is worst, number 4 is bad, with 2 and 3 fairly clean (in comparison!). There is a good 5mm thick layer of hard coke covering everything in cylinder 1, I've not removed any of the valves from the head yet to see what state they're in but the cylinder liners are visually fine, there is no deep scoring and all the piston rings on number 1 are intact. I guess it is just even wear all over and probably a poor seal around the valves.

There's a lot of cleaning to do to remove all the black sludge from the sump etc so there's plenty of jobs to keep me busy until I pluck up the courage to pull the pistons out.

In other news I got my seat pan back from my dad's friend with the big hole patched up. I've ground back the welds, filled all the biggest gaps with epoxy and given it a first coat of primer. Just need to decide how I'm going to fit it back onto the seat hinge now. It was riveted rather than welded but I may find some small nuts and bolts I haven't decided yet.

[ view entry ] ( 7594 views )   |  permalink

<<First <Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next> Last>>