Drilling Screws 
This is one of the two screws that secures the left hand brake drum:



That took some serious drilling and chiselling (well ok, blunt screwdrivering, I don't have a proper chisel but it's a hot day, the metal is very soft)

amazingly the only rust is on the screw head, the thread is clean and once we got it free (my dad helped, taking turns to stand whacking the screws) it unscrewed by hand.

I suspect that the screws had been overtightened or were the wrong kind of screw. looking at the thread the last two or three mm or the shaft were not threaded, but had been driven into the hole, cutting back the face of the metal. I reckon this is what was binding and it took a lot of force to free it.

I've got the left hand brake dismantled now so I just need to clean it all up the same as the other one and put it all back together. There's absolutely no sign of oil either which is great, means I don't have to get the halfshaft out and fit a new seal like the last one.

I lost an ebay auction for a new steering column casting last night so I'm still no closer to getting that bit put back together. I think the next job when the brakes are back together is to crack the top of the hydraulic system open and dismantle that. Once that's all stripped down, cleaned, and repaired (hopefully nothing needing major attention) I will be able to write the rear end off as complete and maybe even put a rough first coat of primer on!

[ view entry ] ( 5977 views )   |  permalink
the next brick wall 
The good news is that my dad's friend managed to undo the wheel nuts with his hardened steel socket and huge bar. The bad news is that now I've got the wheel off I'm stuck again. I can't shift the set screws that hold the drum on, they're rusted hard. I guess I'll be drilling those out, that'll be a long and annoying job with our blunt drill bits.

In other bad news the welds to the broken casting didn't hold, so I'm still looking for a replacement for that. Oh and the steering shaft itself is bent and mangled too so THAT needs replacing as well.

And it's been raining all day, so all I did was fiddle about in the garage getting the ki gass pump to bits. bah.

[ view entry ] ( 5153 views )   |  permalink
Delivery 
well my bits arrived from Agriline this morning.

I can't say I'm overly impressed as the gaskets are wrong. They will fit with a bit of trimming so it's not worth the postage returning them, but they are clearly "wrong". The ends of the trumpets on the TEF20 have six studs holding the brake parts on. These gaskets have twelve holes, and in addition to that, the internal diameter was too small so I've had to trim them to fit. Oh well.

The sure fit seals seem to fit fine (once you manage to squeeze them over the splined end!) Unfortunately I haven't got any grease so I couldn't fit everything back on the tractor today. This is probably for the best since I'm also waiting for some nut splitters to try again getting the long bolts out that hold the mudguards on. It'll be much easier to get those out while the wheel is still off I think.

I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning the bits of the tractor that I've exposed by removing the wheel and brake linkages. Every time you wash off the muck that is free it simply exposes a new tougher strata of grime underneath! Hopefully now that I've got more grass off I should be able to use the degreaser to get the rest back to the paint/metal/rust (delete as appropriate).

[ view entry ] ( 4314 views )   |  permalink
brakes and primer 
The brakes have sat in the garage all night with solvent on the pads, looks pretty clean and doesn't feel oily when you run your finger across it any more. I think I'll just wait and see if it can stop the tractor now.

A lot of paint flaked off the dashboard when I was straightening it. So I finished the job off with paint stripper.



Then sanded it and gave it a coat of primer, I think it looks rather nice already


Oh, regarding the oil seal, it leaked. I'll get the secondary seals and gaskets ordered ASAP, so I can get on and reassemble the tractor.

[ view entry ] ( 4261 views )   |  permalink
More brake cleaning/dismantling 
Having cleaned the muck off the brake pads I can see that they are practically new. I'm guessing that the brakes pads were replaced before the tractor was supplied to it's last owner. I am also beginning to wonder if when this was done a gasket was missed out and that is why the oil has always leaked from that halfshaft.

This is going to be controversial but I'm not going to replace the contaminated brake parts at this time. I might try cleaning them by soaking them in petrol and burning all the oil and petrol off as I've read that that can be quite effective.

I'm going to need new gaskets of course, and a new shim for the end of the trumpet housing (there were three and one has disintegrated!) I need to find out where the gaskets should go and how many I need.
There is the remains of a gasket on the outside face of the brake plate (away from the tractor) but no sign of anything on the other side where it mates with the trumpet or between the shims, this makes me wonder if this is where the oil has come from. (I've got the halfshaft/bearing assembly standing in a bowl in the garage with the trumpet side of the bearing and oil seal filled to the brim with oil. Tomorrow I will see how much has escaped through the bearing and into the bowl)

I plan to get a pair of secondary oil seals to fit in the trumpets while I have them apart, there's no way I can replace the existing seals if I need to anyway as I don't have a gas torch etc.

[ view entry ] ( 4919 views )   |  permalink

| 1 | 2 | Next> Last>>