Delivery 
well my bits arrived from Agriline this morning.

I can't say I'm overly impressed as the gaskets are wrong. They will fit with a bit of trimming so it's not worth the postage returning them, but they are clearly "wrong". The ends of the trumpets on the TEF20 have six studs holding the brake parts on. These gaskets have twelve holes, and in addition to that, the internal diameter was too small so I've had to trim them to fit. Oh well.

The sure fit seals seem to fit fine (once you manage to squeeze them over the splined end!) Unfortunately I haven't got any grease so I couldn't fit everything back on the tractor today. This is probably for the best since I'm also waiting for some nut splitters to try again getting the long bolts out that hold the mudguards on. It'll be much easier to get those out while the wheel is still off I think.

I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning the bits of the tractor that I've exposed by removing the wheel and brake linkages. Every time you wash off the muck that is free it simply exposes a new tougher strata of grime underneath! Hopefully now that I've got more grass off I should be able to use the degreaser to get the rest back to the paint/metal/rust (delete as appropriate).

[ view entry ] ( 4314 views )   |  permalink
More brake cleaning/dismantling 
Having cleaned the muck off the brake pads I can see that they are practically new. I'm guessing that the brakes pads were replaced before the tractor was supplied to it's last owner. I am also beginning to wonder if when this was done a gasket was missed out and that is why the oil has always leaked from that halfshaft.

This is going to be controversial but I'm not going to replace the contaminated brake parts at this time. I might try cleaning them by soaking them in petrol and burning all the oil and petrol off as I've read that that can be quite effective.

I'm going to need new gaskets of course, and a new shim for the end of the trumpet housing (there were three and one has disintegrated!) I need to find out where the gaskets should go and how many I need.
There is the remains of a gasket on the outside face of the brake plate (away from the tractor) but no sign of anything on the other side where it mates with the trumpet or between the shims, this makes me wonder if this is where the oil has come from. (I've got the halfshaft/bearing assembly standing in a bowl in the garage with the trumpet side of the bearing and oil seal filled to the brim with oil. Tomorrow I will see how much has escaped through the bearing and into the bowl)

I plan to get a pair of secondary oil seals to fit in the trumpets while I have them apart, there's no way I can replace the existing seals if I need to anyway as I don't have a gas torch etc.

[ view entry ] ( 4919 views )   |  permalink

| 1 |