Engine photos and another annoying bolt 
Some more photos to show what I've been up to:



Lots of nice new primer instead of grotty blistered grey paint and rust.



Some new parts from fergiland like the air breather.



The lift pump is a pain to attach to the block - it originally had a pair of UNF studs and nuts securing the pump body. These are basically impossible to tighten properly with a normal spanner as you can only ever see two flats at a time. I replaced them with a pair of hex cap bolts which are so much easier to tighten!



As you can see above I've removed the front axle and radius arms etc to get better access to the sides of the block. On the left hand side the nut securing the radius rod to the axle turned relatively easy and the bolt just slid out. On the right hand side things were not so easy... I had to cut all the way through the nut with the rotary tool and open it out with a chisel to get it to turn and even then the bolt was stuck fast.



Some heat on the axle and some heavy blows with a sledge hammer eventually got it to move but of course by then the end of the bolt was spread out too wide for the hole so that had to all be ground back. Eventually after more hammering and grinding it finally popped out. I don't know how easily you can tell from the photo but the bolt is curved between where it goes through the radius arm and into the axle beam. Whether this is where it jammed I don't know but it was certainly a real pain to remove. Next issue of course is replacing it as it's on of the unusual bolts with the 1.1/16" head.

[ add comment ] ( 11932 views )   |  permalink

<Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next> Last>>