Restoring the Steering Box 
Yikes, almost another year without a blog post... I've haven't totally abandoned the tractor though!
Since the last entry I have been restoring the steering box casting and taking loads photos at each stage to present all at once showing my progress from start to finish.

First the all important "before" photo:

Read More...

[ 1 comment ] ( 29945 views )   |  permalink
Tractor Weather 
Would anyone believe that the reason I've not blogged since October was that the weather was too bad for tractoring?


Okay so the truth is I did quite a bit at the end of the year and just never got around to updating this page... Still no photos I'm afraid but hopefully I'll remember to take some in the next few days.

Since I last blogged I have sorted out my piston problems - some more cleaning revealed that the number 1 piston was utterly ruined. Who put it in the engine and why is a mystery but I'm almost certain that it was already scrap before it went in as it has huge lumps gouged out of it (all obscured by carbon before) but there's no corresponding damage to the engine. The other three pistons actually had very little wear so the new rings fitted very well. They're all back assembled in the engine with one shiny new piston and the head back on and torqued down.

Today I've been stripping paint off the sides of the block and going over the metal with a course sandpaper to provide a key for some primer, hopefully I'll get that on in the next day or two. I also need to etch prime all the alloy covers, the inlet manifold, the sump etc and get those bolted on properly with the new gaskets in. Once all that's done I should be able to (finally!) put some oil in and turn the engine over. I ran plenty down the cylinders etc when I re-assembled but it's been sitting dripping away into an old rug since then. The sooner I can get the sump back on the better!

[ add comment ] ( 4432 views )   |  permalink
brakes and primer 
The brakes have sat in the garage all night with solvent on the pads, looks pretty clean and doesn't feel oily when you run your finger across it any more. I think I'll just wait and see if it can stop the tractor now.

A lot of paint flaked off the dashboard when I was straightening it. So I finished the job off with paint stripper.



Then sanded it and gave it a coat of primer, I think it looks rather nice already


Oh, regarding the oil seal, it leaked. I'll get the secondary seals and gaskets ordered ASAP, so I can get on and reassemble the tractor.

[ add comment ] ( 3970 views )   |  permalink

| 1 |