Fuel tank filler 
Doing a big tidy up in the garage today I un-buried my fuel tank and decided to finally have a proper look at my filler cap issue.

Anyway, this afternon I successfully de-soldered the existing neck without blowing myself up so now I can show in detail what was present.



This then is what was soldered into the tank. I incorrectly stated originally that it was two pieces of metal, but I see now that the grove is just machined into the part.
The inside diameter of the tube is 2" and the wall is a touch over 1/16th thick. The flange around the top is about 2.5" in diameter.
I can only assume that at some point the cap was lost and the whole cap assembly changed before the replacement cap was lost a second time as far back as anyone can remember. All speculation of course.

My second photo is the cap I have now.


My hope now is that I can get a friend to turn me a new neck to fit the cap that I can solder back into the tank.
Does anyone happen to know what the thread is supposed to be on the cap? My best attempt at measuring suggests 10tpi.

Alternatively does anyone have a scrap tank with a salvageable neck they would sell?

I'm assuming that the real filler neck is similarly attached to the tank of course. If not I'm not sure what I do next.

[ 1 comment ] ( 16388 views )   |  permalink
Restoring the Steering Box 
Yikes, almost another year without a blog post... I've haven't totally abandoned the tractor though!
Since the last entry I have been restoring the steering box casting and taking loads photos at each stage to present all at once showing my progress from start to finish.

First the all important "before" photo:

Read More...

[ 1 comment ] ( 29304 views )   |  permalink
Engine photos and another annoying bolt 
Some more photos to show what I've been up to:



Lots of nice new primer instead of grotty blistered grey paint and rust.



Some new parts from fergiland like the air breather.



The lift pump is a pain to attach to the block - it originally had a pair of UNF studs and nuts securing the pump body. These are basically impossible to tighten properly with a normal spanner as you can only ever see two flats at a time. I replaced them with a pair of hex cap bolts which are so much easier to tighten!



As you can see above I've removed the front axle and radius arms etc to get better access to the sides of the block. On the left hand side the nut securing the radius rod to the axle turned relatively easy and the bolt just slid out. On the right hand side things were not so easy... I had to cut all the way through the nut with the rotary tool and open it out with a chisel to get it to turn and even then the bolt was stuck fast.



Some heat on the axle and some heavy blows with a sledge hammer eventually got it to move but of course by then the end of the bolt was spread out too wide for the hole so that had to all be ground back. Eventually after more hammering and grinding it finally popped out. I don't know how easily you can tell from the photo but the bolt is curved between where it goes through the radius arm and into the axle beam. Whether this is where it jammed I don't know but it was certainly a real pain to remove. Next issue of course is replacing it as it's on of the unusual bolts with the 1.1/16" head.

[ add comment ] ( 11761 views )   |  permalink
More Photos 








[ add comment ] ( 4548 views )   |  permalink
Little Helper 
Finally taken a photo!



This is my niece, doing a grand job sanding parts for me while I paint the block (or make an awful mess as the case may be).

No proper progress photos sadly as by the time I'd finished it was tipping down with rain. It's hard enough to get around the tractor to paint stuff with it in the garage, let alone take photos.

Today's progress:
Painted more of the block and cylinder head (and the bell housing, and the timing cover, and the floor...)

Dismantled and cleaned out the lift pump - there was rather a lot of grass trapped in there! Oh and a "Top Tip" for anyone dismantling their pump... Make a note of how it goes together first before taking it apart and getting covered in diesel and degreaser. Had to get Mum to look online for a photo while I stood in the doorway dripping.

The last job was putting the side cover that I etch primed the other day back on the engine with the gasket glued on and blue on the bolts.

[ add comment ] ( 7361 views )   |  permalink

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next> Last>>